Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Wednesday, October 26

Oh. My. God.

Baseball post to follow, please ignore.

Random thoughts about the game last night:

  • First off, I'd like to point out that somewhere after the bottom of the 12th inning, I fell asleep. When I woke up, it was the bottom of the 14th. That's right. I missed Blum's homerun. Luckily, I have a dvr, so I didn't really miss anything.
  • Remember what I said yesterday about Buehrle not pitching in Texas and Willie Harris not getting into a WS game? Um.....forget that. No one can ever predict a game going 14 innings, but Buehrle did make it into the game in relief. The only people who got to sit last night were Jose Contreras (scheduled to pitch game 5) and Freddy Garcia, who gets the ball tonight.
  • This is how WS baseball is supposed to be done. No blowouts. Two evenly matched teams, the best from each league, battling. Cubs fan sent me an email after the Sox won the AL pennant and said he hoped (for my sake) that the Cardinals won their pennant because the Astros were more evenly matched with the Sox and it would be a battle. He was absolutely right about that. (and since he doesn't read the blog, I don't mind saying that!)
  • 1:30 am?! Definitely past my bedtime when I have to be at work the next morning.
  • The Astros have probably had their fill of long ass post-season game. There was the 18 inning marathon against the Braves in the NLDS. Once you get that far into a game, though, it really is just a matter of who blinks first. Luckily, last night, it was Astacio who blinked and gave up the the home run to Blum. It easily could have been Hermanson or Marte.
  • I'm not silly enough to think they will sweep this thing tonight. (And Freddy makes me SO nervous whenever he pitches) But, if they do sweep, it certainly wasn't because Houston couldn't match up or was overpowered or anything like that. They have given this series everything they could have possibly given.
  • That said, the spectre of the Boston Red Sox is never far from anyone's mind (or lips) when talking about a team being down 0-3 in a playoff series. Anything can happen.
  • Go Sox!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home