Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Sunday, September 7

Middle of the calle.


El Torito Grill

It wasn't bad. It wasn't great. Part of it was my fault, I ordered a pretty pedestrian cheese enchiladas. Usually, whenever I visit a new Mexican restaurant, I order tacos. That is my baseline. I thought I would try cheese enchiladas for a baseline, and I found them to be lacking. They weren't bad, but they weren't exceptional. They were......okay. They could have been hotter. They could have used better cheese. But, they were certainly edible. I've had been cheese enchiladas, though, from lots of places. I wouldn't order it again.

On the up side, though, were the tortillas. I am pretty damn picky about my tortillas. Why? Because, growing up, I had the best tortillas in the world. Hot off the stove in Grandma Bustos' kitchen. Or, in Josie's kitchen (grandma Bustos' daughter in law and my childhood best friends's mom). Fantastic. A little butter and it was perfect. El Torito serves tortillas (with butter, salsa or another sauce I couldn't place....) instead of chips and salsa. Those tortillas were almost as good as the ones I remember. Almost. It is the closest I have ever come to homemade tortillas in a mexican restaurant. I'm still thinking about them the next day, so that says something!

I would go there again, definitely. They have a brunch on Sundays which might need to be checked out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home