Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Sunday, July 10

Why I love Ozzie Guillen

After losing 10-1 to the A's yesterday, this was his comment to the Chicago media about the team.

"If they feel comfortable, I'm not," said Guillen of his team's 10-game lead in the American League Central. "If we think we are that good, we are not.
"I know my team better than anyone and I was a little disappointed in the way we played today. As a team, this was a really weak effort. We have played better than that."


Sure, the team is still 29 games over .500 going into the break, and 10 games over the Twinkies in the AL Central. But, that isn't the point. They are a better team than that. My other favorite Ozzie quote from that article?

A very direct and no-nonsense Guillen explained after the game that camaraderie shouldn't be confused with a lack of concern for his players' actions. Guillen felt that Uribe and the rest of the team violated one of his very few rules -- always play hard.
"I don't want to embarrass Uribe and take him out at that particular time," Guillen said. "I just talked to him in my office. He knows he didn't run. I'm going to show my players that I'm here for real.
"Because we are friends or because we get along real well, I'm going to let the players do what they want to do? They got the wrong man."


We've got Freddy Garcia on the mound this afternoon. Let's see if we can avoid the first sweep of the season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home