Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Sunday, October 19

Media-ocrity

I haven't really been neglecting my blog, really......okay, I have. I admit it. I've been spending more time over on Unpaged because, really, I love books. There, I said it.



Anyway, back to music cd and movie reviews.

Jennifer Hudson





LOVE this CD. I wasn't a big J-Hud fan when she was on American Idol. It wasn't that I disliked her singing, I thought she was incredible. I just liked others more. All that said, this is a really great CD. It reminds me a lot of an Angie Stone cd. Very much R&B and not the crap that has tried to pass itself off as R&B over the last decade few years. I hope it does well just so others will follow in her footsteps and get back to what sounds good.












The Block

I was a huge fan and I'm probably still a huge fan. I didn't love this CD. If I were grading it, I would give it a solid B. It was a little too overproduced for me. Now, I know a lot of people say things like "overproduced" and no one ever knows what the hell that means. For me, it means that instead of listening to a group, I'm hearing all the slick bells and whistles of the studio, and if I can hear it with my novice ears, it is overproduced. Probably one of my favorite CDs over the past few years has been Gavin DeGraw's debut cd. I know I've mentioned it on here a few times. That is my concept of the opposite of overproduction. It's just music. That's what I think is missing from this CD.



Love, War and the Ghost of Whitey Ford






I can, in no way, shape or form, be objective about Everlast. Ya'll know that already though, right? I have loved everything he's done. This CD is pretty good. I was already familiar with the Letters Home from the Garden of Stone song, and I still love it. The rest of the cd is pretty dark, but that should come as no surprise to anyone who has listened to him post House of Pain. This is not a CD you want to listen to if you're wanting to be cheered up.


Eagle Eye




You know, the critics really didn't like this movie. I thought it was fun. Was it plausible? Who knows. Probably not, but then who (in 1960) thought we would have been walking on the moon by the end of the decade? I wasn't crazy about Shia before I saw this movie. I liked him a lot more afterward. I'm a huge Michelle Monaghan fan after watching Gone, Baby Gone. I think the critics should have been nicer to this film. It was better than most of the schlock passing for movies these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home