Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Thursday, July 7

Big loss for mystery fans

Ed Mcbain (otherwise known as Evan Hunter.....or Sal Lombino) died today of larynx cancer. I really didn't even know he was sick. In addition to the hugely popular 87th precinct novels, Hunter also wrote the book "The Blackboard Jungle" from which the movie was based. I remember a couple of recent tv movies based on the 87th precinct series, but apparently that was not a new invention. There are tv movies, and even a short lived series, dating back to 1961! (before my time)

My favorite Evan Hunter book is Criminal Conversation. And, although I wasn't a huge fan of his alter ego, Ed Mcbain, I certainly understand his appeal and I know he'll be sorely missed.

The mystery writing and reading world lost a giant today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home