Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Thursday, September 1

Can't google help like this

If you read this week's NUVO, you'll see an article about the library in crisis. It talks a little bit about how the library (and librarians) are being replaced by google.

The very same day that I read that, I get this email. As I'm always interested in suvivor stories, it was even better to hear from libraries in the Nola region. And, as an added bonus/surprise, the woman who wrote this letter has the same name (almost) as my Mom. With a coincidence like that, of course it had to go up on the blog.


-----Original Message-----
From: Dean Perry [mailto:EPerry@lib.subr.edu]

Dear Colleagues,

I know many of you are concerned about us here and I just want you to know that we are safe. The University is open, since yesterday, for administrators and staff but the students will not return until Tuesday, Sept. 6.

In my neighborhood we had some wind damage but not any flooding. Several homes had down trees and one tree split a home in half on my street but no damage to my house. We were without electricity for 3 days but it came back on yesterday. This is so minor compared to what others are experiencing.

We have several hundreds of the evacuees housed here on campus, some arrived with just what they had on when they were rescued. Realizing this, I had my staff on yesterday to go back home and get whatever they had at home (t-shirts, blankets, pillows,shoes, underclothes, socks, baby bottles, coloring books, water, etc) for those in the shelter here on campus. The Library ended up taking 3 cars and a van of items for those housed here on campus. I had a couple of OCLC t-shirts and I included one of them for the evacuees. They were so gratefully for everything as one lady told me she had had the same clothes on for three days, no shoes and no shower during this time. I know this is not much but every little helps. There are about 100,000 people from N.O and the surrounding areas now in B.R. with all shelters full and the traffic is a nightmare, long lines at the gas stations but we are coping and trying to help as much as we can.

Southern University will be allowing any student from the N.O. colleges and universities to enroll here for the rest of the semester. Of course the Library will extend all rights and privileges to these students as we do our own students. Ms. Adrienne Webber, Xavier University who was in the HBCU Leadership Institute I stopped by yesterday and said she is available for work for short term (6 months or so) or a permanent job if there is anything available. Just thought I would pass this on.

Again, thanks for your concerns. Do keep all of South Louisiana and especially New Orleans close to your heart and in your prayers. Take care and take time.

Emma Bradford Perry
Dean of Libraries
Southern University
Baton Rouge, LA 70813

P.S. Look over any typos or errors, got a tight schedule and on my way to a meeting now but wanted to get this out before my meeting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home