Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Tuesday, September 5

Its either right or it isn't. Right?


There is a new book out (soon) that is sort of the anti-Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

The Fight for English: How language pundits are ate, shot and left. The author rags on Lynne Truss' book and goes on and on about how she is a "linguistic fundamentalist".

But, as far as punctuation goes, isn't it either right or wrong? Don't we want to have rules to follow? Isn't that kind of the point of the whole thing? I haven't read Eats, Shoots and Leaves. I had grammar and punctuation. But, I do like the idea of knowing that there is a right way to do it. If I care enough, I'll look up the right way. Possibly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home