Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Monday, July 24

Worst Book Ever?


Perhaps. I am going to a book club on August 8th and I have until then to finish this book. It may not happen. I started this book in the airport yesterday, and I had to stop after about 25 pages. It was that bad. Yes, it was. I didn't know what to expect. Romance books and I are old friends. Fantasy books and I are even older friends. I have absolutely no problems with vampires, werewolves, witches, mages, elves, dwarves.....whatever. I have a huge problem with books that are shitty.

She's written a lot of books and people really like her. Maybe I got my hands on a bad one.....but, I doubt it. Everything in this book (at least what I read of it) seems forced. You know where she's going after the first paragraph and she isn't giving you any reason to read it. The main character is like a washed out milk jug of every other "supernatural" romantic hero that is all the rage these days. There isn't a thing new or innovative about him. The romantic heroine is a little more interesting, but that isn't saying much given the position we were working from. You could rip the cover from this book, wrap another around it, and no one would be able to tell the difference.

I may just be an observer at this book club because I don't know if I can bear to waste any more time on this. Life is too short.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home