Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Sunday, August 13

Job fair/OCI fashion tips.

I said that a lot on Friday. I went to a job fair up in Chicago and had mostly a good time. I learned a few things about the whole 20 minute interview process. One thing I learned is that I don't like it. But, the other thing I learned is why it needs to be this way. There are too many job opportunities and too many candidates. How else does each side narrow the field? Could you imagine applying to every law firm in the world? Then, add to that government agencies, other non-profit ideas, corporations......whatever. You'd go nuts.

I had seven interviews and out of seven, there were two, right off the bat, I knew weren't going to happen. It was the longest 20 minutes ever. No, seriously. And, in that case, you kind of know that isn't the place for you. Granted, that is just one representative of an entire organization, but that's how it turned out.

The other five were all wonderful. We'll see what happens. This is just the beginning of the process, so miles to go before I even know if I get second interviews, let alone a job for the summer.

The "Oh Dear" comes in for fashion choice. Now, I'm not the fashion maven that BBS is, but I have two moderately functioning eyes (with glasses) and I did see some things from the Glamour magazine do's and don'ts page:

  • This is a job interview, not the club. Do not wear tight ass skirts. Seriously. It was in Chicago, and maybe you were going to the club afterwards...... I have no idea. But, honestly, you did not look cute. You had a lot of company in not looking cute, but did not look cute. There were A LOT of women there who looked like they had been poured into their skirts. I don't know how they could sit, let alone be comfortable!
  • Black ladies: You cannot wear any color panythose. I know, I know. "The package said...." Trust me on this, its just a bad idea. It looks icky on your legs and the eye is drawn immediately to it. I can't tell you how many women I saw with the wrong shade on their legs. You can't help but look! It stands out like a sore thumb. Women who were impeccably dressed in every other aspect, and this is what I remember? Buy the right color, ladies. It isn't that hard! Or go with a nice off black. Something other than Suntan. YOU are not suntan. No, not even you.
  • Black. Black. Black. It was the color of the day. My sister dropped me off downtown, and then hung out while she waited for her hair appointment (which was also downtown) and when we walked in it was like a funeral directors convention! Everyone was in black! So, then it became a game of trying to see who wasn't in black, and they really did stand out. I saw some gray, which was nice. I saw some navy, but not as much as I expected. The people who wore tan or some kind of brown really stood out. I saw one woman who looked exceptional in her powder blue jacket and navy skirt. At least she'll be remembered. I saw pinstripes, but not as many as I expected. Black. Black. Black. ugh.
  • On the other hand, if you DO decide to wear something that isn't black, you'd better be sure it is impeccable. There was a lovely woman there wearing a tan outfit, and it was too tight. (do you hear a theme?) with a jacket with buttons hanging on for dear life.
  • Open toed shoes: Ladies, you'll have to let me know what you think about this one. Me, personally, for a job interview, I'm not loving the idea. The woman in the tan above, wore a pair of tan, wedge sandals. Cute shoes, but......not the most professional pair in the closet I'm betting. It just seemed entirely too casual for my taste. But, then, we are equally without jobs, so what do I know?
  • Dress rehearsals: Not just for job interviews, but for anything. If you cannot walk in those heels, you shouldn't be wearing them. There were lots of women there with high, high heels. 4 and 5 inch heels. Lots of wobbly women. The shoes were sharp, definitely, but if you are weaving back and forth, the effect isn't quite the same now is it? Believe me, I understand the urge to be cute. I do. Its a sickness. But, you're not cute at a job interview when you can barely walk. And, if its an all day job fair, and you feel the need to bring your "house shoes" or whatever because you can't stand your regular shoes for ONE FULL DAY? You're wearing the wrong shoes. Don't hate the messenger, ladies, its nothing but the truth. How does it look that you can't keep your shoes on for a full day? 9-5. But your comfortable shoes on in the car if you must, but come on!
  • Dudes: There was lots of eye candy. No, really. LOTS of eye candy. Lots of variety in suits too. The black/blue was more even than it was among the women. I didn't spend much time looking at fashion faux pas for the guys, but my sister noticed shoes that weren't shined, and she harped a bit on the brown shoes, blue suit thing. Me, personally, I have no idea what color shoes a man is supposed to wear with a navy suit. I will say that the suit/shoes combo that really bothered her was really icky. I don't know if it was that particular shade of brown with the navy suit, or if its just a general no-no Guys?
  • Not the club pt. 2: Ladies, if you're crossing your legs at the knee, and not at the ankle, be aware that I can see up your skirt. Why? Because I'm sitting on the 6th floor, and you're sitting on the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th floor, your skirt is short, and your leg is on top of your other leg. What does that do? Gives me a look up your skirt. I don't wanna see all that. I don't wanna see ANY of that, actually. You're sitting outside a room for ten, fifteen minutes. You can't cross your legs at the ankles for that short of time? Or sit with them together? Or wear a longer skirt? Or wear pants? If you're nice and slim and legs cross nicely and I see nothing, that's great. Cross away. You look wonderful. But if you're sitting in a way that everyone on the floors below you can see up your skirt? This is a bad plan. I just thought someone should let you know.
So, there you have it. No interview details, but then you didn't really expect any on here did you? No, I didn't think you did. It was a good time. The next potential job fair is on September 9th in DC. I have no idea when I'll hear about from this round and OCI is also coming up. I'm wearing na;vy and aqua next time, dammit!

Oh yeah:
  • Pants vs. Skirts: I will say it was about 60/40 skirts over pants on Friday. I don't know if it really matters. Some will say it does, some will say it doesn't. I think it depends on who is doing the interview, really. A well fitting pants suit will win over a tight ass skirt every time. There are some things you just don't want to do. But, both being even, does the skirt really give you an edge? We'll see if I get any callbacks.......I wore a skirt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home