Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Tuesday, June 8

Yikes

So, I get to work today and I have 39 suggestions for purchase waiting for me. Please add those to the 65 I have from last week. Well, those 65 are just books. I have another 37 from last week that are audiobook. Its silly, really. Its silly that I don't have time to do them, and its silly that people have too MUCH time to ask for them.

On another note

I heard an interesting story today. My dad tells me that my nephew (god help him) had to walk home the other night from Rock Island to East Moline at 3 in the morning. It took him 3 hours to get there. Now, most of you don't realize how far that it, but its pretty far. His "friend" that he'd gone there with had left him. An interesting tale. My dad then went on to tell me that someone who would leave you stranded is no friend. This is absolutely true, as I found out over the weekend. And, on top of that, my dad is most upset with my sister for leaving me. He was also disappointed in the other person in the car because we've been friends for such a long time, but he wasn't surprised by it. She had no obligation to me, and friend can be just a word. This guy said he was my nephew's friend too, and that got him a nice three hour walk in the middle of the night. But my sister wasn't raised like that. You don't leave your sister anywhere. Never. Ever. He said he wouldn't even treat a dog like that. God bless Dads. As he points out, anything could have happened to me (or to them) and neither one of us would have been the wiser. You don't leave without everyone you came with. Its real simple and he says he taught her better. Maybe it didn't take. Its funny, though. Every time I tell this story to people at work they're shocked. It seems everyone knows you don't do that. As my friend Michael said "For a damn laptop?" Exactly.

And in other news

There is something incredibly fun about giving someone something when they least expect it. At BookExpo I got many things, and most of them I'll end up giving away. But there were a few things I got specifically for people I work with. Those are things I carried back, instead of shipping back, and I gave them out yesterday and today. None of these people expected to get anything and they looks on their faces when I gave them their presents was priceless. There is something to this random act of kindness, although it wasn't really random now was it? Still, it was nice doing something for people who absolutely don't expect it.

Speaking of books....

Book suggestion title of the day: The Three-Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting Great title. I guess I'll order it.


Speaking of ordering
Before I came to work this morning I ordered the new Marc Anthony CD. Amar Sin Mentiras. Now I know you're asking me what that means. I know what all three words mean, but I have no idea if the phrase is idiomatic. I guess the textbook definition would be Love without Lies? That's my guess and I'm sticking to it. So, his life has been so angsty lately, I'm sure the cd is great! And now that he's (allegedly) Mr. Jennifer Lopez the third, it might get even more angsty? Ladbrokes (the great British betting agency) is just giving them 3-1 odds. Of course, Ladbrokes didn't give Liverpool very good odds to win the Premiership last year...and they didn't. Hmmm, well that doesn't mean anything! I'm going to go against the odds and say they'll make it. I'm such a romantic. Actually, make that a Romantic.

Off to deal with patron suggestions. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home