Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Tuesday, November 8

CD of the Day

I'm so behind in my CD's of the day. So, lucky you, you get them all at once.


Black like me by John Howard Griffin and narrated by Ray Childs.

So, this is very odd. I spend a great deal of time buying books on CD (and cassette) but I detest them. Seriously. I've tried listening to all types, and I really, really, really find them boring. Even books that I loved sound boring on audio. But, every once in awhile, I find one that is tolerable. I don't even know why I keep trying, except that I"m a glutton for punishment. So, I was going to buy this when I realized we already had it. Lovely. And, I love the book, so I figured I would try it and see. It was amazing on CD. Even better than in print. Ray Childs was fantastic, and I highly recommend listening to this on CD, even if you have already read the book. And, of course, you all HAVE read the book, right? Right? I can't imagine that any of my incredibly smart blog visitors HAVEN'T read this book. If you haven't read it, please don't tell me. I don't want to know. Just go read it. or Listen to it. The "experiment" that is the focus of this book happened in 1959. The year my sister was born. Its still as relevant today as it was then.

I can't say enough about this book, and audiobook. So, I'll move on.

Illumination by Earth Wind and Fire.

I was afraid when I picked this one out. I thought, maybe, they had yielded to temptation, and they would be rapping and everything else like so many bands think they need to do to stay relevant after 30+ years of performing. I won't say my fears were unfounded, there were a few songs on there I definitely could have done without, but the overall cd was incredible.

Bach Works for Solo Violin by Lara St. John

She's not my favorite violinist, but she's not bad. I found this on the shelf and decided to give it a listen. I'm a huge Bach fan. St. John is good.


Take a joke America by Carlos Mencia

Not my favorite Carlos Mencia CD, but still funny. I'm looking forward to listening to the two others that the library has on order.


The Truth (with Jokes) by Al Franken

Again with the audiobooks. I knew I wasn't going to read this one, so I thought I would see if it was tolerable on audio. It is read by Franken himself, and has audioclips of speeches and talking heads that he quotes (and then slaughters.) I imagine this one would be better heard than read for just that reason. Very hilarious and frustrating at the same time. Makes work go by much faster, though. I'm listening to this one now, and almost finished, so I'll be back on the music. Thankfully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home