Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Friday, March 23


SO, The Watchman. I really don't even know where to start. First of all, I couldn't put it down. I did put it down, because I had to sleep. But, I think I may have fallen asleep with it in my hands, actually. I know I woke up in the middle of the night to finish it. Yes, it was really that good.


If you haven't read any of these books before (The Elvis Cole series) shame on you. Remember all the things I said about George Pelecanos? Yeah, they apply here too. In fact, Pelecanos, Crais and Harlan Coben are my literary holy trinity. They're all different, they're all the same and they're all fantastic.

Anyway, the book. The only thing I really wasn't crazy about was the ending. Others will disagree with me, I'm sure, but I wanted a different ending. There were a couple new people in this book that I look forward to maybe seeing again. I almost wish I could forget I'd read the other books in the Elvis Cole series, and come to this book with a fresh set of eyes. You know, without all the backstore. I think it would be a completely different experience. After all, most of what you get out of reading a book is what you bring to it. It's a merger, not a lecture. Or, at least, good books are a merger between writer and reader. If you don't bring anything to it, you're not getting the full experience.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home