Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Friday, October 5

Long overdue CD review #2


Another Deborah Cox cd?! Yes. This is a cover of Dinah Washington songs. Dinah is one of my favorite singers so I thought this couldn't lose. And, really, it isn't bad. In fact, it is quite good. It just isn't as good as I expected it to be. Maybe my expectations were too high.

So what's wrong with it? Well.....it's too perfect. It's slick and shiny and over-produced. I never understood what people meant when they said that before I heard this CD. I think I do now. I would be curious to hear the raw recordings to see if they're any better.

It could also be that Deborah doesn't feel anything for these songs. These aren't, after all, her songs. Back in Washington's day, it wasn't unusual for a hundred singers to sing the same song. Sinatra sang it. Ella sang it. Billie sang it. It didn't matter. There was a instrumental version. Whatever. People would take a "community" song and put their own spin on it. These days, everyone has their own songs. I don't know. Something is wrong here.

Again, I'd love to know what you think if you have an interest in this type of music. Give it a listen and let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home