Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Friday, June 11

Marathon Cinema

Three movies. One Day. Could she do it? Of course she could. Even though I feel considerably less than 100%, I spent the entire day at the movies. And, I have to admit, it was pretty awesome. I'm tempted to put another dvd in right now.....I think I'm on a roll. Anyway, the reviews:

"That's why no one will remember your name"
Troy: Fantastic. Visually fantastic. The story was adapted nicely. There were some good parts missing, of course, but its Hollywood not Homer. Acting was great. I think Eric Bana was perfect as Hector. Truly, I can find no fault in his role. He should get some recognition for it, but he won't of course. He was great though. Sean Bean, naturally, was superb. He very rarely disappoints in his roles, though. I would love to see The Odyssey now with Sean Bean reprising his Odysseus role. (hint hint...) Brad Pitt was good too. I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much and I got more than I bargained for. I don't think he was as good as Eric Bana, but he was very good. Helen and Paris should have been thrown from the parapets together. But, I couldn't help but think of Legolas when Paris started in with the bow and arrow. I really didn't like Orlando Bloom in this movie. Not just the sniveling character of Paris, but Orlando Bloom as Paris. Maybe it was just me. All in all, it was a great movie. I'd see it again. Right now.


"Look at you now, all at the back of the bus and shit."
The Chronicles of Riddick: Now, most of you who read this blog know me. If you know me, you know I am a HUGE Vin Diesel fan. And, yes, its just because he's hot. No, okay, its not. Its the voice too. The voice makes him even hotter. Honestly, though, I really do like his movies. I wasn't so crazy about XXX, but I REALLY liked Fast and the Furious, A Man Apart, and Pitch Black. And Knockaround Guys. Okay, you get the point. I wasn't crazy about Chronicles. It got better as it went along, I will say that. And I liked that they didn't just give Vin all the good lines and make everyone else be his straight man. There were parts of it that had me shaking my head with the predictability, and parts that had me cracking up. I think the problem is that Pitch Black was SO good, it was hard to compete with it. It was a movie that didn't need a sequel and any sequel suffers in the comparison. There was some magic in that movie, and maybe part of the magic was the fact that it was this unassuming little indie picture with a great cast and a great story. Pitch Black is a movie that gets better each time you see it. If anyone out there hasn't seen it, go rent the dvd. I guarantee you, you will miss things the first time around. Watch it closely. There were scenes in that movie I didn't get until I watched the commentary. That is the sign of a great movie. Chronicles does not compare. But, that said, it still was far from a bad movie. Far from it. But, just don't go into it thinking its going to be of the same caliber as its predecessor. Oh yes, and for any
of you who watch the show 24, Thandie Newton does one hell of a great Sherry Palmer impression in this movie.

"Is that really what my hair looks like from the back?!"
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: This book, up until Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix came out, was my favorite HP book. I was expecting a lot and I wasn't exactly disappointed. I like all of the HP movies, and this one was good as well. I just....maybe I was tired. I kept waiting for it to be over. Now, I know you're all thinking "Then it must not have been very good." But that's just it. It WAS good. I was thoroughly enjoying it. The acting was great, as always. Gary Oldman is on my short list of all time favorite actors. Ever. He is a chameleon when it comes to his roles, and he plays each and every one of them brilliantly. I could not have picked a better Sirius. Alan Rickman delights me as he always does. You can just see in him, as in the books, the layers that make up Severus Snape. I hope he's still around for Order of the Phoenix. If they even get that far with the movies. Who knows. At any rate, Emma, Rupert and Daniel were all great. Emma Thompson and David Thewlis were equally good too. Everyone was fantastic. I just....kept looking at my watch.

So, that sums it up. No bad movies today. Now I'm going to bed with Advil Cold and Sinus and hopefully I'll be good for work tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home