Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Monday, June 14

Wow

If any of you watch soccer and you didn't see the amazing France v. England match from Euro 2004, you missed out on something special. This, quite honestly, was the most amazing soccer match I have seen in my short time watching the game. It was outstanding. England played absolutely flawless football the first half. They played decent football the second half, but they left the door open for France, and France took advantage to tie it up. Thanks to added time, and a moment of insanity from England keeper David James, France took the lead and won the match. There are a million details I could mention, Fabien Barthez's amazing save on David Beckham's penalty kick, for one. The defense practically shutting out Thierry Henry was another high point. England had the game won! Heartbreaking...unless you're a fan of France, of course. France was the favorite, though, and England had the game won. (You can guess who I was rooting for, huh?)

And I saw a commercial for adiddas where they pronounced it AH-dee-das instead of Ah-DEE-Das. Anyone know what the correct pronounciation is? Just curious.

In other news, I saw three movies on dvd this weekend. Yes, I'm trying to get it all in before school starts in the fall. My dad told me yesterday that my eyes should hurt since I saw three movies in the theater on Friday and three more at home on Saturday and Sunday. Plus the soccer match, some baseball and some NBA finals. Of course, I also worked on Saturday and I was sick so I wasn't exactly doing much (outside of work) that didn't involve my couch. So, what I saw:

The Rainmaker: I am a new Matt Damon fan. This movie was decent. I hadn't read the book, so I'm sure that helped. My favorite performance was Danny Glover in his uncredited role as the judge. Claire Danes wasn't bad either. It was a decent movie.

Sinbad: Legend of the seven seas: Wow. A movie with a plot, adventure, romance, friendship, and great characters...and its a cartoon. I think more filmmakers should worry less about their special effects and put more effort into the things I just mentioned. This was a great movie. Michelle Pfeiffer was excellent as Eris, and Brad Pitt did a good job as well. Dennis Haysbert's voice (as Kale) is now even more recognizable (for those of you who don't know him as President David Palmer) through his Allstate commericals. Great movie.

Legally Blonde: Everyone said that I should see this movie, and it really was cute. The end was contrived, as nearly all movies that deal with the law are, but it was cute.

All in all, I think I fared better at the theater than in the home video arena. I have plenty more movies on my coffee table to watch before summer is over, though. Stay tuned.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home