Obiter Dictum

Woman's virtue is man's greatest invention --- Cornelia Otis Skinner

Sunday, August 1

Excuse me?

So, I was supposed to make a cake yesterday. I went to sleep instead, so I had to get up and make it this morning. Well, naturally, I had to go to the store first. So, I'm in the cheese aisle (far away from cake making supplies....) and I see this woman looking at all the different cheeses. She's obviously considering them all very carefully so I mosey on over to do the same. Then, a third woman, comes up, moves the first lady's cart, and reaches in to get some things. Here was the exchange:

FL: Excuse me.
TL: I need to get in here
FL: All you had to say was excuse me and I would have moved.
TL: I've been standing here for five minutes waiting for you to move.
FL: All you had to say was excuse me and I would have moved.

TL moved away, grumbling, with a her children right behind her. I just shook my head. TL hadn't been there for five minutes, and it was a little bit rude to just move FL's cart, without so much as an 'excuse me.' On the way home, I was thinking about it. I probably err on the side of being overly polite (until you piss me off.) and that's just how I was taught. Is there some sort of shopping etiquette or should FL not have expected an excuse me at all. I think its a good thing that TL walked away before things got any worse, but its a shame she didn't show her children a better example of politeness. Its never wrong to be polite. Of course, I ended up buying three different cheeses.....

Getting back to my cake, I came back and started mixing. Eggs? Check. Sugar? Check. Flour? Check. 7-up? Um......Damn. Its a 7-up cake, and I didn't have any 7-up! So, after running to the gas station for a 7-up, the cake is now in the oven. I hope it turns out ok. If not, I have cheese as my backup! Still, I'm sure it'll be a good time. It seems like, more Sundays than not this summer, have been spent eating and hanging out with friends. And eating. I'll miss it once school starts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home